Salam...this is an entry written by a friend (also my batch mate) as a feedback on Malaysian GOvernment Doctors Criteria. It is something we all medical students should read and think of!!
1. There is life outside medicine. Who said so you can't have life outside medicine. That's ridiculous. Think! There is doctor who is married with doctor in the same hospital. Also, there is doctor who is dating with staff in the hospital, including nurses! Well, that's what I call dating. Sport? Walking, running in the hospital isn't that call sport? Don't be "closed-minded" Think! There is doctor who joins the Fitness First. Clubbing? A muslim should avoid this. You know that. Think! Can't do chores for your parents? Of course you can’t if you are not living with them in the same house. But wait, praying Dua’ for your parents isn’t that one’s must do? That’s one simple chore you can do for your parents. Think! Even, there are doctors who become a member of NGO of Islamic Society eg. IKRAM, KARISMA, JIM, others as to dakwah. Think! The is life outside medicine. It’s just you who make your life in such a cocoon. Think!
2. When you are in the working profession, you earn your own money. You have your own life. Still living with parents under one roof and being pampered by them? Of course not. And of course you can, if you want to. Well, not only doctors who are not living with their parents! Don't you think so? Think! Move out of the house ASAP because your parents wouldn’t understand your job? Please don’t follow this advice. Don’t run away from your parents. They wouldn’t understand your job? They’ve raised you up until you are able to stand on your own feet. They know you. They will know. They never come to hospital watching how a doctor working? I bet your mom had admitted to any Gynecology ward before this. Think!
3. Bila jodoh dah sampai seru dan berkemampuan, berkahwinlah. Sememangnya fitrah manusia ingin saling mencintai dan dikasihi. No need to wait until you have complete for the Govt compulsory services. There is medical student who married during study. There is houseman who married her registra. Think! There is life outside medicine.
4. Get baby as soon as possible after getting married. Well, depend on your luck. Rezeki Allah bg lain-lain. Fikir balik. Apekah tujuan berkahwin? Tak mau anak? Panjangkanlah zuriatmu yang baik-baik sementara nyawa masih ada. Think!
5. Follow the work protocols in your hospital. That what keeps you safe. Think!
6. 36 hours working non stop? Trust me, you can sleep in between. Yes, I’ve seen doctors doing it. Are you really sure non stop? Muslim has break for prayers. Isn’t that enough? How many doctors have died because of this? None. Think! Everybody can do it. Allah akan bagi ujian yang hanye setimpal dengan kemampuanmu.
7. Don’t drive if you know that you are drowsy or disoriented. Don’t be stupid. Get a taxi. Be smart, be safe. Think!
8. Coffee contain caffeine, and some how it can cause tolerance. If you are a coffee lover, of course you need constant supply of it. For coffee hater like me, better to avoid it. Find a better way to keep you fresh. Think!
9. Managing stress is very important. I’m sure you have had experienced any stressful event in your life. But yet, you managed to get over it. How? Nicotine patch? Definitely not. You are doctor. Don’t abuse drug. That’s why you learn psychiatry aren’t you? Think!
10. Don’t get over influenced by the media. That’s are all movies to be watched by the people all over the world. Of course the story line are all made up and making its much interesting. Don’t you think so? Do you think that the doctors’ life in the movies (House, Scrubs, Grey Anatomy) resembles its own doctors’ life in its country? Do you think so? Think! Do you think that you can get better life in other hospital than in Malaysia? How better is better? Think!
11. There are doctors who have gardens at their houses. Yes, they have maid. So?
12. Try to walk around with houseman in the hospital during your practical year. Don’t forget to smell them. Do they smelly? Never in my experience! They have time to take a break, and have bath. Think!
13. Fasting. Islam has trained you to stay empty stomach, right? Sacrificing yourself to save someone’s life isn’t that beautiful? Think!
14. Doctors do deserve MCs. Who says so that they’re not deserve to get one?! Remember, we are all human being and human gets sick when they get sick. Don’t you think so? Nobody is perfect. My supervisor had MC because she had sore throat. What?! Sore throat? Think!
15. Scolding, destructive criticism, racial bias, finger pointing from your supervisors are nothing. I am very sure you have trained to become resistant with all of these negative tortures during your practical years. Think! Why they do that? They love you. They want to make you a better doctor. They don’t want you to make mistakes. This profession involving lives. This is not a playground. Think! You want being pampered by them? Being nicely treated by them? This is not kindergarten anymore. Think! I love being scolded. That what keeps me moving on.
16. You think your life will be just confined to the hospital only? How many doctors having fun with families, travelling around the world, win noble prizes, etc, etc, etc………..? Think!
Never regret of what you are doing now, Medical Students…
Isn’t this your school-age AMBITION?Yer cikgu, saye nak jadi dokter. Saye nak bantu orang sakit.
Wasn’t that your kiddy answer?
Yes, you wanted to be here. Yes you are.Think! Think back.
Its not easy to get you here. Yes, here. How many years had you struggled to get you in this profession. You are now half-step distance to become a doctor. Never turn back.
I do believe that my life has been planned by Allah. Why am I here? Because Allah had planned for me to be here. Ouh, I need to find the hikmah behinds these. Allah knows what is the best for His servants.
Never let negative thought under estimate yourself, your capability. If other doctors who can do it, why not you? WHY NOT YOU? Of course there is NO SHORTCUT to be one. A consultant. You think it is easy to become one? They also had struggled through tough years to be one. Yes.
Every king was once a weak baby, and every awesome building was once just a drawing on a piece of paper. And you? THINK!
Jadi dokter, satu pekerjaan yang mulia. Yes, doctors playing God. But yet, everything happen dengan IzinNya. Saving lives, isn’t that mulia? Imagine you save someone’s life or making someone to have a better quality of life. And that person able to beribadat and do good things because you’ve helped that person. Don’t you think “saham pahala” gets to you? Allah knows.
What other profession yang the customer really trust the person? None can beat doctor profession. So, use this opportunity to dakwah as well.
Positive mind set will definitely deliver Positive attitude!
written by Muhd Izmeer
Fraser Hill Night Ride
2 years ago