Friday, July 24, 2009

STigma on Doctors..

Salam..

Finally, i manage to import internet connection from KL..long story..no need to elobrate.Now I'm in Malacca.In two days I'll start the O&G posting which is the toughest posting of 3 year..Hopefully I can cope with that.

Today i would like to write about Stigma on doctors..

When you feel something wrong with you...do you straight away seek help from the doctor?
Or..you decided to wait untill i resolve by itself...
or... you decided to do self-treatment by taking painkillers or do anything that might relief the problem..

well, majority will prefer to choose those two later options than seeing doctors.. So, far non of my family members are doctors yet. Only me and my 2 cousins are still in medical school.Some of my family members are the typical people who are afraid of doctors. For them, doctors are only for severe cases.If possible, they want to avoid seeing one.

This is one the reason why people delay their treatment. When they decided to see doctor their problem has already worsen or only can be relief but not totally cured..

WHY are they afraid to the DOCTORS?? certain people even develop white-coat syndrome where their blood pressure rise up in the presence of the doctor.

Public/Patients' stigma on doctors:1. They like to prescribe patients pain killers, might as well I just take pain killers and save my money, time and energy of going to the clinic.
2. They might ask me to undergo invasive procedure like taking my blood, thus doctors=dracula..hehe
3. the point above can also mean DOCTOR=PAIN4. Doctors are my chance to get extra holidays-Medical certificate (MC)5. When you see them, you can be diagnosed with some serious/chronic illness
6. Doctors are INCONSIDERATE when they ask you to STOP doing things you like.
7. They are harsh when you dissobey them
8. WHen I meet the doctor, he'll be 'the BOSS'..no point of voicing up my opinion or decision.
9. I will get sick if I see doctors.
10.If you see doctors..it means something is WRONG with u


So, can we say it is the Public/Patient's fault to have these stigma??
NOpe..

It all come back to us DOCTORS and FUTURE DOCTORS on how we should behave in treating them appopriately and ethically.

However there are other reasons why people didn't want to seek early help from doctors.It doesn't rest on the stigma on doctors alone.. there are other reasons also like patient's education, social life and economical background.

WSlm..

No comments: